Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The beginning.


I could always count on her – even when I was very young.

I was incredibly shy. 

I remember the burning tears at the back of my eyes when strangers attempted to engage me.  It was terrifying.  I would hide behind her.  She would hold my hand.  She would speak for me.  I would feel so relieved when she would explain I was shy and the stranger would accept that and walk away. 

She never complained about my behaviour even when she had to bring me into her Sunday school class or dance class.  I was simply unable to stay in my own age group class without her and I would cry at our separation.  Someone would always take me to her.

I would immediately feel safe again. 

I needed her emotionally. 

She has always been stronger emotionally.

I never told her that.  Not once. 



I called her from a payphone. 

He called me those names.  He made me feel dirty and ashamed.  I was scared.

She comforted me and helped me through. 

The details have left me but I know, in my heart, she saved me. 

I was scared and lost.  I didn’t know what to do. 

She was my first phone call. 
I knew she would help me. 
 I knew she wouldn’t judge. 
I needed her emotionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment