Thursday, October 24, 2013

The lovelies.



Mom told us she needed to talk to us...very serious, loads of mystery. 

We conspired.  We debated.  We couldn’t imagine the reason for this ‘talk’.

Left alone with our imaginations, we easily fell into the silly banter of sisterhood.

‘Come on, do it!’ I begged her.

She couldn’t resist.  ‘Welcome to Miss Snicky’s laundry.  Today we will learn to fold a sheet,’

I barrel laughed at her imitation of an old lady!  She was hilarious.

It was our game.  It was our chore game.  It was so much fun. 

‘Remember when you would get the hiccups in the car?’ she prompted me. 

‘And you would make me sing...’

‘RUDOLF THE RED NOSE REINDEER!!!!!’ We hollered in unison.

Oh, how we laughed at those memories.

Mom entered the room and sat on the bed.  She waited while we tried to compose ourselves.

We were just in control of our emotions, when Mom stated she had come to a decision based on the maturity we have shown lately...

That did it...we were rolling on the bed, tears running down our faces...Mom’s too.

When we grew tired from all the laughter and had quieted, Mom told us we were getting our ears pierced.

GETTING OUR EARS PIERCED!!!

It was the most exciting thing that had ever happened to us! 

We were wound up for the rest of the night. 

We had two weeks to wait.  Two weeks. 

We spent hours talking about everything earring related. 

How would we look?  Hoops or studs?  Silver or gold? 

Was it going to hurt?  Who cares!  

We were submerged in the fantasy of being the girls with pierced ears...we were going to be sooooo cool!

Life was good!

 

Late one night, when my parents thought I was asleep, I overheard them talking.

I listened closely when they lowered their voices and mentioned her name. 

Yes, he agreed.  People wouldn’t be able to ignore the earrings.  People couldn’t possibly mistake her for a boy then.  No, we don’t want her to know the reason.  Yes, good idea...having them both go, then she will never know.
 

This adult reality slapped me hard.   

Woosh.  The fun of the last few weeks soured in my head.

The joyful anticipation of getting pierced ears was gone. 

A little of my childhood innocence was also gone. 

 

I knew something she didn’t.  Something they didn’t want her to know. 

I wished I didn’t. 

I never told her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment