Sunday, October 27, 2013

The initiation.


It had been four years since we had been in the same school together by the time I reached high school.

She was excited for me to become a secondary student. 

The school was huge and the number one fear for all new students was getting lost. 

She took me for tours.

She showed me every classroom on my timetable.

She showed me the short cuts to different areas of the school.

She gave me tips on managing books, getting lunch and where to sit.

She reassured me and gave me courage. 

She walked with me to school the first day and every day following that year. 

‘Minor Niner Day’ was approaching...the traditional day of fear for the juniors and triumph for the seniors. 

I was nervous.  I knew I was supposed to be a good sport.  I knew I couldn't be a suck. 

The day arrived. 

She walked with me into the school. 

Her locker came first.  I waved bye as I kept walking.

‘Deep breath,’ her eyes said. 

Boom!  I was shoved into the lockers. 

I looked up in surprise to see two of her male friends.  They both wore football jerseys and they were huge!  They also sported wicked smiles. 

I knew I was supposed to smile and not freak out but I was secretly scared to death.

They picked me up...picked me up and took me back to her.

She was laughing but her finger was pointing at them in reprimand.

They shoved me into her locker.

I said nothing.  I did not protest. 

I could hear them talking to her through the slats in the door.

“That’s her right?”  Laughter.

“We just wanted to be sure we knew which Minor Niner we were forbidden to touch!”  Laughter.

Suddenly, the door opened and they pulled me out of the locker, apologized and told me to let them know if anyone gives me any trouble.

They strutted away. 

I looked at her and she smiled. 

I never thanked her.

Not once.

No comments:

Post a Comment