Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The trip.


 

There was to be an exchange trip through the school. 

Students from Frobisher Bay, Nunavut were to make an exchange with students from our school.

They said she could apply to go.

They were saying, ‘yes’ a lot more now. 

 

She was so excited when the school chose her as one of the exchange students. 

Her good friends were going too. 

I wanted to be excited for her but I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. 

The trip took over all the conversation at home. 

They kept repeating, ‘what an opportunity for her’. 

They planned a shopping trip for all the things she would need...who gets this excited about long underwear?

The school required a physical be completed by her doctor.

 

She returned from the doctor’s office in tears.  She was devastated.

The doctor was suspect of a heart murmur and declined to give permission for the trip to Frobisher Bay until further testing could be completed.

There was a timeline conflict.

She was removed from the list.

She was no longer an exchange student. 

 

All conversation stopped. 

I saw her defeat.  I felt sorry for her.  Poor her. 

She accepted the rejection silently, head down.

I didn’t know how to help her. 

 

She went for further testing reluctantly and submissively but, not quietly, thinking it was pointless. 

 

Ironically, tests results showed her heart to be fine. 

There was no heart murmur. 

No heart murmur. 

Oh boy.

 

One of the exchange students had to drop out of the trip.    

There was an opening. 

Her friends rallied and advocated for her to be re-instated. 

I saw the look on her face when the school called.  Her head lifted, her eyes sparkled and her smile said it all...

She was an exchange student once again! 

 

I was so happy for her.  I knew it meant so much to her.  I knew it was a big deal. 

I never told her.  Not once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment