Saturday, October 26, 2013

The runaway.


They argued a lot. 

It was never like this before.  I didn’t like it. 

They were always telling her no.  She would get angry when they said no. 

Why can’t they just say yes and then she won’t get mad?

I was bored.  She was out a lot. 

I was allowed to go to my cousins and stay for a week. 

I was glad to go. 

I was just enjoying my stay when I saw my Aunt on the phone. 

Something was wrong. 

My Mom needed to speak to me. 

SHE HAD RUN AWAY!

Wow!  I couldn’t believe it? 

Secretly, I was impressed!  She was brave to be that defiant!  Wow! 

I had to come home on the bus I was told.  That was weird.

When I arrived, I could see Mom standing on the sidewalk waiting for me.

My heart sank. 

My Mom was broken hearted.  Her nose was red.  I knew she had been crying.  I had never seen my Mom that sad before. 

I vowed, right there and then to NEVER, EVER do anything to cause Mom hurt like that again.  

I tried to be invisible for the next while.  I just didn’t understand the dynamics of what was happening to our family.  No one thought to explain anything to me.  Everyone was too full of emotion, and there were hushed conversations on the phone. 

I didn’t know where she was.  I was worried.  Where would she go?

The boyfriend’s. 

She was at the boyfriend’s house.

Oh oh.

Mom didn’t even try to hide her emotional response to this information. 

I wondered if she would be different now.  I wondered if she forgot about me.

I was asked to stay in my room.  She was coming over and they were having a meeting.

A meeting.

What does that mean? 

This was serious business. 

They told me she was coming home.

She had to pay board now. 

Ok? 

She has to pay to live here?  Really?  I was confused.

Not right away, but eventually, I realised things were better now. 

She was happier and they stopped saying no. 

I never really ever understood what went on but I was glad to have her home.

It seemed like our family grew up. 

We were all a  little less childish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment