Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The truth.


They told her without me there! 

They knew I wanted to be with her. 

I was in the waiting room. 

I had just left her bedside. 

I heard her scream.

 

I ran to her room.

The doctor was still in there.

He had just told her about her babe.

He told her alone.  She was all alone.

 

I was furious.

She felt sorry for the doctor having to tell her at all.

She felt sorry for him. 

 

They told her, her baby’s face was distorted. 

I was adamant there was nothing wrong with her face! 

Why had they said that?  She was beautiful.  She looked just like her.

‘Her legs are twisted?’ 

Yes, it is called club feet. 

‘She has no pulmonary artery?’

Yes, that’s right. 

‘She is dying?’

Yes, it is fatal. 

‘I want to go and see her.’

Yes, let’s go see her. 

 

She didn’t cry.

 She sat in the wheelchair looking up at the incubator.

Her eyes slowly covered every inch of her baby and then returned to her face. 

She put her hand into the incubator and called her name....

That tiny hand, that same precious hand that had not moved in the hours since her birth,

INSTANTLY, grasped her lifeline...her mom’s finger. 



I will never forget witnessing that moment.   

The instant recognition of one to the other was so obvious it was tangible. 

I could smell their bond. 

Witnessing a love, so measurable and miraculous...

 

I was forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment