Thursday, November 21, 2013

The worst and the best of times.


We settled down.

Her baby’s every new day taught us to relax.

 

Loving her was so easy. 

She gave us so much joy; we were allowed to be happy around her. 

 

By the time my son was born we had a grip on family gatherings!

Our kids loved each others’ company. 

They redefined the term, ‘cousins’.



Being her Mom was hard work.

I tried to help out when we were together.

 

I have a photo of them, her daughter, her leg casted, elevated on a stool,  with one of my kids on either side of her.

All three in the tub together; naked and shiny, covered in bubbles.

All three of them with huge smiles on their faces.

Happy kids. 

Exactly how a kid should be. 

 

Time with my kids gave her daughter relief from her real life. 

She thrived on the socialization they provided her. 

She regenerated on the acceptance and normalcy they gave her. 

She was able to forget about hospitals, hurting and not feeling well when she was with them. 

 

They also exhausted her. 

We had to plan our times together.

 

Waiting rooms are the most boring places for any child.

Her daughter and I made up a game.

We played it at every appointment...we played it a lot.

Reader’s Digest’s, Definitions, became our game board. 

 

I was the preferred person in the waiting room.

We would get giggling.

We loved to be silly together.

Her Mom, the preferred person for appointments and procedures. 

Fun time was over.

 

It warmed my heart when I heard her laugh. 

If I could make her happy, even for a brief moment, I was thrilled. 

 

It is human nature to take things for granted. 

Her daughter taught me that time and time again.

Simple things like...shopping. 

Just the word was tiring for her daughter and exhausting for her. 

 

I would take her daughter, back to school shopping.

It was full fledged aerobics. 

It wasn’t for the weak. 

I would do everything I could do decrease the amount of energy she had to use. 

 

Dressing rooms...take it to a lunge. 

 

She would take my kids shopping. 

She would call from the restaurant...’how’s it going? Yeah, we are done! Hee Hee’

It was win-win. 

She always felt bad for not being able to spend time with my kids. 

 

They ‘camped’ at my house.

A.K.A.  A safe holiday.

We worked in a yard sale.

We worked in a bottle of wine.

We worked in a little skinny dippin’.

We worked in some adult fun.

 

We both enjoyed seeing the kids have a good time together.

I enjoyed seeing her relax and enjoy a day here and there.  

Life was hard for them. 

 

The surgeries.  So many surgeries. 

I watched her explain to her daughter what the surgeons were going to do.

She would answer all of her questions.

She was always very honest with her...even about the pain she would have following.

 

The more surgeries, the more her daughter already knew.

Like the hospital menu. 

She knew the menu. 

Although we laughed about it...it was the saddest thing. 

 

Only, after her daughter waved goodbye,

After she had disappeared into the operating room...

Would she show any emotion. 

She would stare at the swinging doors and cry. 

 

It became routine.

Pace the room.

Eat licorice.

Check the time.

Repeat. 

 

She would stand completely still when the surgeon arrived.

I would watch her face as they spoke. 

Deep breath.

She had survived another surgery.

 

The surgery. 

The lengthy hospital stays.

Home for recovery. 

The recovery.

 

Her daughter would be back to herself.

She would be a wreck. 

Often sick. 

Always exhausted. 

 

She always thanked me.

She always said she couldn’t do it without me. 

I thought she was the best Mom in the world. 

Her daughter...the best niece.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment